Home Remedies for Insect Bites – Insect bites are a common problem during most seasons especially summer and rainy seasons. Some insect bites can lead to itchy rashes while few can be more dangerous leading to illnesses like malaria and dengue. With the scare of dengue in a lot of Indian cities, it is important to protect yourself from mosquitoes.
But children may get bitten by insects while playing outdoors and it may be painful or itchy later. My 4 years old rarely feels a sting while playing, but as soon as we are back home from park, complaints would start. I usually follow some simple ways to ease her discomfort. I have also researched some more simple home-remedies that one can use in case of an insect bite.
Symptoms of Insect Bite
The symptoms are a result of venom injected by the insect. Venom injected may cause redness, pain and itchiness and sometimes leading to allergic reaction which may result in rash.
Most reactions to insect bites are mild and symptoms subside within a day or two. In some cases of severe reaction, symptoms may be serious like :
- Hives all over the body
- Swelling of face or other parts of body
- Difficulty in breathing
- Nausea and Vomiting
If your baby or toddler gets bit by an insect, you can do perform some basic first-aid to relieve the pain and itchiness. Consult a doctor, if symptoms get serious.
Treatment of Insect Bite
As with most kids, my daughter does not even realise some insect has bit her, when she is busy playing. s soon as we reach home and it is time to change and wash, the complaints about bites and itches come pouring.
Whenever your child complains of a insect bite, it is best to take the child to a well-lit area to examine the infected area. If you can see the stinger, you should pull it out carefully. This will help in limiting the venom from spreading further.
- I usually clean the stung area with soap and water. It helps relieve quite a bit of irritation.
- Applying an ice-pack to prevent swelling and itching works too.
- Next I apply a calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream to relieve itching.
Take below steps to ensure there is no further damage :
- Trim kid’s nails short so that she cannot scratch
- Dress baby is long and full sleeved clothes. Make sure clothes are thin if weather is hot. This will discourage scratching
- Apply ice-packs if itching is very bad.
10 Home Remedies for Insect Bites
Here we give 10 first-aid/ home remedies for insect Bites:
1) Wash with warm water and soap and apply a antihistamine cream.
2) Apply an ice-pack. Take a few cubes of ice in a cotton handkerchief and apply on the affected area. It will soothe the itchiness and swelling.
3) Rub the back of a banana peel on the affected area.
4) Cut an onion and rub it on the area where you see the bite. This remedy also works in case of bee sting.
5) Apply apple cider vinegar on the affected area.
6) A cool used tea bag will cool and soothe the bug bite area.
7) Mix turmeric powder with a few drops of water and apply on the affected area. Turmeric’s anti-inflammatory properties will heal the bite.
8) Alo vera gel can also heal and soothe insect bites.
9) Take few leaves of tulasi and crush them using a mortar and pestle. Apply it on insect bite area. The oils in tulsi can heal and prevent infection.
10) Apply a little peppermint toothpaste on the bite area to soothe the itchiness.
When to call a doctor for Insect bite ?
If you notice severe reactions in your child, you must consult a doctor :
- Child has difficulty in breathing.
- Child faints
- Develops severe rash or hives
- Face or throat swells up
- If child starts vomiting
Prevention of insect bites
- Use mosquito nets on windows to prevent entry of mosquitoes.
- Use baby-safe mosquito-repellent cream when going out. Do not apply it on hands as babies frequently put their hands in mouth.
- Use liquid mosquito-repellents at home.
Are there any go to home remedies for insect bites, that you use? We would love to hear your inputs.