What can I do to minimize spit-ups or vomiting ?
You can follow simple things to ensure baby is more comfortable and spits up less often :
- Do not play with or jostle baby immediately after feeding.
- Keep baby upright for 20-30 minutes to ensure milk remains down and does not flow back to esophagus.
- Do not over-feed. If baby wants to stop, do not force baby to finish the bottle.
- Feed at regular intervals. Over-hungry babies tend to over-feed.
- Burp your baby after each feeding. If baby has problem of gas, burp between feeds too.
- If bottle-feeding, ensure you use correct nipple size.
- If breast-feeding, check your diet to see if something you are eating may be causing the problem. Tery avoid the item to see if that helps.
When should I call a doctor ?
You must consult a doctor if :
- baby is irritable and regularly cries after spitting up.
- baby is not gaining weight properly.
- baby vomits large amount of feed and it looks greenish or yellowish in color.
- baby also has fever.
When in doubt, it is best to consult doctor.
Table of contents: